Saturday, February 11, 2012

Halo Effect

Since the new year, the Thursday night NBC comedy lineup is 30 Rock, Parks And Recreation, The Office and, brought over from Wednesday, Up All Night.  What's missing, for the first time in two and a half years, is Community--the second half of its third season is being held up by the network.

As faithful readers know. Community is my favorite sitcom in production.  What I didn't realize is without it, the whole lineup sags.  I like, in varying degrees, the first three shows above, but it's no longer...what's the phrase?...oh yeah, Must See TV.  Let's face it, 30 Rock and The Office are both past their prime, and Parks And Recreation, though still at its height, has significant flaws, including a central couple I don't buy and characters who seem to be working in different shows.  But somehow, when Community was part of that group, everything seemed better, and I looked forward to the full two hours.  Now if I miss it, no big deal.



PS  I don't believe the new strategy is paying off that well.  Community never had good numbers, but 30 Rock is also getting crushed (or is that papered?) by Big Bang Theory and American Idol.

PPS  This effect is sort of like ABC on Wednesday.  I like Modern Family, which makes me more willing to watch The Middle and Suburgatory, which I only mildly enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter