Sunday, May 13, 2012

Too Remote

I saw Lee Siegel's Not Remotely Controlled in the library.  It's a 2007 collection of his essays on television that first appeared in The New Republic.

Scanning the table of contents, I decided to sample his piece on Lost, originally published during the show's first season.  The article is four pages long and barely deals with ABC's new hit drama.  Instead, it's about secrecy in America and the world in the post-9/11 era.

I have no idea if the other chapters are similar, but if Siegel wants to use popular culture as a jumping-off point for his musings on the political situation of the day, and The New Republic wants to print them, and a publisher wants to come out with a book of them, that's their business.  But it doesn't mean I have to read it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TNR is not where I'd go for TV reviews. Or news involving the Middle East or Al Gore

6:27 AM, May 14, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter