Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Don't Believe What You Read

I have no particular knowledge of and really only a glancing familiarity with the corruption trial of Ehud Olmert in Israel but I did notice the following two headlines this morning. 


From the Wall Street Journal

 Olmert Acquitted of Bribery Allegations

 Technically both headlines are  true and the stories convey the same information in the lede- He was acquitted of two major corruption changes but convicted of a third lesser charge of breach of public trust for granting political favors to a crony (which, although lesser, still sounds like it could be important but I can't tell from the articles).  As most readers who are not particularly following the matter will only glance at the headline, the information so conveyed is almost as important as the accuracy of the underlying article. I think both could have been clearer.   Yes- I also understand that the writers generally do not write their headlines

I guess its not news that the news is not always really the news.  If it ever is, or was

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you decide how to spell lede? I've never been able to find a definitive authority for it. I keep hoping to find it in the AP stylebook, but alas I never have.

6:07 PM, July 10, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd spell it "lead" so every human being on the planet earth knows what you're talking about.

8:58 PM, July 10, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come to think of it, I suppose you're right. I doubt that the AP stylebook has lead in it, either.

1:18 AM, July 11, 2012  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I read an article last year somewhere where it was stated that lede was the preferred spelling by newspapaer folks so as to avoid confusion. Another rational contribution to culture by journalists.

2:22 AM, July 11, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I'd spell it "lead" so every human being on the planet earth knows what you're talking about." Thats fine and clear if you are talking about whats in your pencil. Every profession/industry has its weird little quirks.

11:09 AM, July 11, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter