Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Middle Name

This week's episode of The Middle, "The Name," dealt with teenage daughter Sue Heck choosing her middle name.  When she was born her parents made a mistake on the form and she's been "Sue Sue Heck" ever since.  Now that she'll be getting a driver's license, it's time to fix the problem.

At the Heck dinner table, Sue makes various suggestions and the family is no help, so she says if they don't care she'll just randomly choose something from the name book.

She picks a name blindly.  Bertha.  Okay, she'll try again.  Gertrude.  One more time.  Sylvia.  "What year is this book from?" she exclaims.

I admit Bertha's pretty awful, but I didn't know Gertrude and Sylvia were so bad. Of course, I may be prejudiced.  My mom's named Gertrude and my aunt's named Sylvia.

Spoiler PS:  Somewhat predictably, Sue decided to keep the second Sue, which makes her name unique.  Of course, calling someone Susu isn't that unusual.  That's what they used to call my sister Sue.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck, I think you're a little too close to this one.

3:38 AM, March 28, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I turned it partway through (in the middle of The Middle HA?) and couldn't figure out what that part of the plot was.

How about The Neighbors- actually not a bad show but George Takei and Mark Hamill (is he going to play Yoda in Star Trek 7?0 were completely wasted. I have the feeling those parts were written at the same time as the PILOT as they reflect the goofy (& unfunny) space alien humour and not the comedy of manners (sort of) that the show has turned out to be.

5:43 AM, March 28, 2013  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I started writing this post halfway through the show knowing she'd keep her name.

The Neighbors episode was quite good, though, even for that show, incredibly self-referential. All the alien stuff they'd mostly dropped along the way was also predictable--they'd vaguely hinted all along something big was coming and needed some payoff. (I was almost sorry they didn't attack the Earth, and I certainly don't give a damn about the cliffhanger. In fact, if the show comes back, I hope they pretend it never happened.)

Takei and Hamill were a throwaway gag, which was fine with me. I do feel a bit queasy, though, about mixing Star Trek and Star Wars--it's like that commercial that featured three of the Monkees and Ringo Starr.

6:29 AM, March 28, 2013  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I still think it's impressive how versatile Eden Sher is as Sue. At 22 she plays a 16 year old wonderfully (And I have a 16 year-old at home), but played quite different parts in Weeds and Party Down. I wonder if they will have a "Sue takes off her braces" episode next year.

Charlie McDermott is really good as Axl too, but this is the only thing I've seen him in (I missed Hot Tub Time Machine). I've read that he was a heart throb teen idol of sorts even before being cast here (he's 23).

On the other hand, I'm afraid Brick is becoming too self-aware of himself as an actor. Sort of the Gary Coleman syndrome.

8:26 AM, March 28, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What you talking 'bout, Denver Guy?

12:53 PM, March 28, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey- show some respect - its "whatchu talkin bout, ______?" there's no need to improve the diction

3:53 AM, March 29, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter