Saturday, May 04, 2013

Out Of It

I've caught the first three episodes of Rectify, the new drama from the Sundance Channel.  There are only six episodes in the season, so I'm already halfway done but I don't know what I think.

The premise is Daniel Holden, a guy on death row for a rape/murder, is let out after 19 years based on new DNA evidence.  His family welcomes him back, but Daniel, who's spent all his adult life in prison, has trouble adapting--though he may have been an odd duck to begin with.  Meanwhile, plenty of people in his small Georgia hometwon still think he's guilty and he may be retried.

Most of the action is about what happens after his release, but there are flashbacks to his days in stir, as we see how he got to be how he is.  Also, enough characters are sleeping with each other that sometimes the show seems a bit soap-operish.

Rectify is meant to be realistic, which if done well can lead to powerful emotions, but, in this case, leads to a contemplative tone that sometimes verges on boredom.  It's more about watching the characters interact that seeing a plot move forward. The show believes in taking its time, but the question is should I let it take my time.

Aden Young is okay as the somewhat off Daniel, but no one in the cast really stands out--though Abigail Spencer as his younger sister is quite beautiful.

I suppose since I've come this far, I'll see where it's going.  But if it doesn't pick up by the end, I won't come back for a second season.

I might add the show doesn't let us know (so far) if Daniel is guilty or not. I'm sure the creators think this is a nice touch of ambiguity, but as the lead character knows the truth, I don't like this choice.  Ambiguity because no one is sure can work, but ambiguity because you're not telling us is mostly annoying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter