Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Real Spiel

The Village Voice used to run Stan Mack's Real Life Funnies, where all the dialogue was guaranteed to be verbatim from people he met or overheard.  Every now and then I feel like doing something similar (though I can't draw) because you never know when you'll overhear something interesting.  Mack lived in NYC, where it's crowded and there are plenty of oddballs, so it made his job easy, but there are plenty of "interesting" people out here, you just have to keep your ears open.

I'm not leading up to much, except that while leaving the grocery store a few days ago, I overheard part of a conversation between two guys who were sitting at a table.  I only wish I could have stuck around to hear the whole thing. Instead, I got a snatch. One man was replying to what another had just said. I have no idea if they were old friends or if they'd just met, but here's what he said.

...I only care about where I'm living now. I don't care about other dimensions. I don't care about other people living in other universes....

Yep, that's all.  I wish I could have heard more, but I couldn't just stick around to listen, it would have been too obvious.  Still, I have to agree with the guy. Perhaps there are billions of beings out there in other dimensions, but as long as they leave us alone, we should leave them alone.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just another example modern selfish heartlessness about the fate of untold quintillions throughout the multiverse.

I wish you all a Raucous Saturnalia (apparently belatedly).

That Anonymous.

8:29 AM, December 25, 2013  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

The best kind!

9:57 AM, December 25, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter