Saturday, March 08, 2014

Community Development

I thought the latest Community, "App Development And Condiments," was pretty good (even if the AV club called it "probably the weakest episode of the season").  Still, I miss Troy and, to a lesser extent, Pierce.  The story was built around the five main characters still on the show, as well as Chang and the Dean and a few others, and it worked fine for them. Still, I can't help but feel something isn't there.  Would I feel that way if I didn't know the show to begin with?

But what I want to write about isn't the episode.  It's the guest star who played Koogler.  This was a new and, I assume, one-shot character (who even got a nice movie trailer for the tag).  I recognized him but couldn't place him at first. Then I remembered--it's Mitch Hurwitz, comedy writer, best known for creating the great Arrested Development. (I've met him several times and he's a nice guy.) Arrested Development, like Community, didn't get great ratings, but, unlike Community, at least won a bunch of Emmys.  Are he and Dan Harmon pals?

I suppose his appearance is an in-joke, since he's essentially unknown, and even those who know him don't think of him as an actor. But he pulled off the part with aplomb.

1 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

"Mitchell Hurwitz was born as Mitchell D. Hurwitz."

We're going to have to start keeping an eye on those guys at IMDB.

7:58 AM, March 08, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter