Friday, February 19, 2016

Are You Game?

I'm on record as being against coupons or special store cards (so special they give them out for free) that get you discounts.  All this foofaraw does is slow things down at check-out, not to mention adds to the overall cost.  Just sell me your items at the lowest possible amount and we'll be fine. (Oh, I get the psychology behind it all, but that doesn't mean I like it.)

As if all these cards and other transactions (I think people do more banking at the grocery store than the bank) don't slow things down enough at my local supermarket, they've just added a new twist this month: there's now a Monopoly game we get to play, like it or not.  With each purchase, the store gives away little cards which you open up to see what property you've got, or something like that.  The number of cards you get depends on the cost of your items, so the transaction now includes the cashier waiting to get the receipt, then circling in pen the number of cards you've been awarded (because if they didn't circle it in pen how would you know where to find the number on your receipt to check and make sure you got enough cards) and then count out the cards and hand them to the customer.

I'd guess this adds 10% to the already too long wait in line.

No doubt the contest is the kind where there are a few rare cards that win for you while the rest are worth nothing or are minor coupons you could probably get elsewhere.  I don't go to the supermarket to play games, but I'm forced to participate.  How about creating a special line that doesn't offer these cards, so I can be on my way?

7 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

You can take comfort. Those checkout people will be replaced by robots soon.

In fact, pretty soon whiny customers like you will be replaced by robots, too. Not sure when they'll get to the brass. Apparently they've got Zuckerberg already.

3:04 AM, February 19, 2016  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I don't whine. I suffer in silence, like a real man.

3:09 AM, February 19, 2016  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I miss the generic aisle.

In Repo Man, the neatest part of dystopian future was eating and drinking out of white cans marked "food" and "drink." Made the Plate o' Shrimp seem all that more special.

But since we're on the subject, the thing that most annoys me are the idiots buying lottery tickets keeping me from my chips at the convenience lobby store. I don't mind the lottery- I will buy a quick pic ticket here and there--occasionally I win a couple bucks and can go buy more chips- its these morons that take 15 minutes to figure out their strategy and variety of scratch tickets. You have the right to be stupid and throw away your money, but please do so quickly.

5:37 AM, February 19, 2016  
Blogger New England Guy said...

And since we are on the subject (its your fault, you got me started), the monopoly promotion reminds of a McDonalds promotion that seemed to run throughout my son's impressionable years. It was annoying, we had to carry these bits of scrap paper representing monopoly properties to see if you got the complete color set (which never happened for the big prizes but occasionally you got free food).

My favorite McD's promotion was for the 1984 Olympics when you would get a coupon for a certain event and then get a free item depending on whether Americans got a medal. That crafty Andropov figured out a way to stick it to capitalism and pulled out (yeah- that's why he did it) the Warsaw Pact after the promotion had been set, so all those Greco-Roman and women's track events coupons were worth free food (well Burgers and fries and cokes) for weeks

5:45 AM, February 19, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The promotion cost McDonald's hundreds of millions more than expected when the Russians pulled out. The Simpsons parodied it with a similar Krusty Burger promotion:

Krusty: (on TV) You people are pigs! I, personally, am going to spit in every fiftieth burger!

Homer: (watching) I like those odds

10:46 AM, February 19, 2016  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

At are King Soopers (part of Kroger chain) they at least ask you if you are playing the Monopoly game, and you can pass (I like to say "I'm going directly to jail, I will not pass Go").

8:52 AM, February 22, 2016  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I refuse to eat until this promotion is over.

6:23 PM, February 22, 2016  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter