Thursday, February 02, 2017

What's So Funny?

TCM is doing its February tribute to Oscar-nominated films. Going alphabetically, last night they showed Annie Hall. Host Ben Mankiewicz claimed it was one of only six comedies to win the Best Picture Oscar.

I've been over this before--I think their definition of comedy is too pinched. If you go over the list of winners, I'd say you find 17 titles that can be classified as comedies, and that's not even counting several musical comedies.

Which ones? Chronologically, it's...

It Happened One Night

You Can't Take It With You

Going My Way

All About Eve

Around The World In Eighty Days

The Apartment

Tom Jones

The Sting

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Annie Hall

Terms Of Endearment

Driving Miss Daisy

Forrest Gump

Shakespeare In Love

American Beauty

The Artist

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Okay, a few may seem like stretching.  But hey, if I were feeling really generous I could have included titles like Amadeus and Rain Man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter