Sunday, August 06, 2017

What's In A Name?

I was watching Orson Welles' Chimes At Midnight (1965) on TV.  It was not well-regarded originally, but is now considered a classic.  Indeed, some critics call it his best film.

I'm not quite so enamored. In general, I find his cinematic style to often clash with Shakespeare.  Welles tends to be a better job raising modern (and sometimes pulpy) material than trying to live up to the greatest playwright.

Anyway, I hit the "info" button to see how the film was described, and it said that the movie was based on "Falstaff and other Shakespearean plays..."

Ah yes, that great play by Shakespeare, Falstaff.  I remember seeing it at a Shakespeare festival, right after Shylock and just before Prospero.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter