Sunday, October 01, 2017

Grim And Bear It

Last year, a lot of big celebrity deaths took us by surprise--Prince, David Bowie, Garry Shandling, George Michael, Carrie Fisher and a number of others who left before their time.


This year, the big celebrities saying goodbye tend to have been around a lot longer--Jerry Lewis, Don Rickles, Chuck Berry, Roger Moore, Hugh Hefner, Monty Hall. (I'm cherry-picking a bit, but not much.)

This post is getting a bit gruesome, so let's be clear, I hope everyone does just fine.  My point is that, inevitable though it may be, it can be weird when people who have been a presence all your life--people who have given so much enjoyment--are no longer there. (I'm not superstitious, so I'll name some I love to this day who have done great work over the years--Mel Brooks, Carl Reiner, Dick Van Dyke, Bob Newhart, Norman Lear and Stan Lee, for example).

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

It is my perception that people are living much longer. The named people that have died this year (and some others whom you did not name) were all people that I assumed (or would have assumed had I been asked) were already dead. I assume the last list of names you gave are all still alive but I suppose I would need to google that to know for sure.

I have been dealing with plenty of active 80 and 90 year olds lately. My mom is 79 and is considered to be the youngster and sometimes caregiver for several of her older neighbors This is disconcerting. I'm within months of the age my father retired at but I feel have at least 15-20 years of work ahead of me.

7:37 AM, October 02, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you guys ready to start a death pool?

12:57 PM, October 02, 2017  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you had 90s style irony in the death pool, you'd be a winner

4:00 AM, October 03, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter