Sunday, October 29, 2017

Top Fourteen

I notice on the internet, especially YouTube, people ranking the songs of each Beatles' albums, so I thought I'd take a shot at it.

I figured I'd start with Revolver, because it seems to have become, somewhat surprisingly, the one that wins all the polls as their best. (It's also a great album, which helps.)

I'll use the 14-track British version, which has become the norm, even though I was raised on the 11-track American rip-off.

It's not easy choosing the best with such great material, but I guess it's easier than ranking the 30 songs on the White Album (which includes a lot of mediocre material, actually).

1.   I'm Only Sleeping
2.   Here, There And Everywhere
3.   And Your Bird Can Sing
4.   For No One
5.   Good Day Sunshine
6.   Yellow Submarine
7.   Taxman
8.   She Said She Said
9.   Eleanor Rigby
10. Tomorrow Never Knows
11. Got To Get You Into My Life
12. I Want To Tell You
13. Doctor Robert
14. Love You To

To be fair, some of these songs are so close in quality, if different in style, that you could move them up or down a bit and I wouldn't notice.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here, There and Everywhere is a masterpiece, and Oh, Darling makes you gag. Add music to the list of things I don't understand.

SWMBCg, etc.

2:25 AM, October 30, 2017  
Blogger brian said...

I think I rank Rubber Soul higher but I really do love this album. My order would be different. So my question is really what difference does it make as no-one listens to albums anymore and if you do still have the vinyl or acquired it, aren't you going to just play and flip? It should be which album side do I like better.

6:53 AM, October 30, 2017  
Blogger New England Guy said...

I like the Beatles but will admit I do not recognize many of these titles (though I think I would recognize them if I heard them). Possibly why I never opted to buy this album. Maybe in my dotage, I will now dig into it.

I agree the White Album has a lot of stuff I tend to skip.

But what do I know- I am a big fan of The Magical Mystery Tour and Yellow Submarine (1/2) albums- Maybe because in my suburban exile and limited record budget, I listened to them over and over in my preteen years. Its All Too Much.

8:05 AM, October 30, 2017  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I love every track on this album, though I would rank Rubber Soul and Sgt. Pepper's ahead. I can't rank, I can just say my favorite song is And Your Bird Can Sing, and (I agree) Love You To is my least favorite.

Of course, originally in my teen years, I would bet Eleanor Rigby would have been my favorite - it loses it's place due to massive over-play, but that isn't really fair to the song. And best Ballad is of course Here, There And Everywhere, so depending on the mood, that's the best.

8:28 AM, October 30, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter