Thursday, November 01, 2018

NB On The NB

The New Beverly 's marquee suggests there'll be a reopening in December.  The place--the best cinema in town that shows old movies--has been closed for refurbishing all year.

It's been around as a repertory theatre since well before I moved to Los Angeles.  In 2007, Sherman Torgan, who ran the place, died.  It looked like the space would become a Supercuts, then Quentin Tarantino bought it.

He took an active role in programming a few years ago, insisting only film be used (often titles from his personal collection), no video.  And the place, already a shrine for movie fans, took on a new life.  It's not far from where I live and I became something close to a regular. (I can't say I'm a true regular, since there were audience members I saw every time I visited.)

I might add the New Beverly closed around the same time the Cinefamily, less than a mile away, shut down due to a scandal.  If the Arena Cinelounge hadn't moved to just up my street, I would have had no place nearby to see stuff off the beaten path.

So anyway, good luck to the New Beverly.  It's not a big place, so I can't imagine how they could change it much.  But just going back to showing old movies will be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter