Friday, December 14, 2018

Centered

Everyone knows malls are in decline.  They've got to adapt or die.  Out here in Los Angeles, land of malls, the Westside Pavilion has lost its two anchor stores and is in its death throes.  Meanwhile, the Westfield Century City has rebuilt and seems to be doing well. (It even poached Macy's from the Pavilion).

The mall that was closest to me when I moved here was the Beverly Center.  Then someone built the Beverly Connection next door, not to mention The Grove next to the Farmers Market, both of which took away business.  The Grove, in particular, is thriving.  So not too long ago the Beverly Center shut down for rebuilding.

It's just reopened and I must say, it looks pretty much the same.  I'm sure some stores have changed, but it doesn't look that different from when I used to go there years ago.  The most obvious difference is actually at street level, where there are a bunch of new restaurants.

The most annoying thing is they still charge for parking.  That's what drove me away in the first place.  Maybe they've got to do it since they're next door to Cedars-Sinai and figure patients (ambulatory ones, anyway) will just park there and walk over.

So good luck, BC.  Don't think I'll be going there much, but it's sad to see malls die.

PS  I bought something at a store there and when they rang it up, the cashier said "do you want the receipt or shall I put it in the bag."  That's a choice?  What do I care?  I mean, ask me if I want a bag or not, or a receipt or not.  But are you announcing that I have the option of the receipt in the bag or in my hand?  Just put everything in the bag (or don't) and be done with it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sears closing at Briarwood (Ann Arbor). It's the end of the world as we know it.

5:16 AM, December 16, 2018  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once the anchor store closes, the next question is will the mall implode?

11:25 AM, December 16, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter