Sunday, December 02, 2018

Tenor

It's a minor observation, and perhaps not based in fact, but it seems to me the ten-dollar bill is becoming disfavored.  Over and over, when someone makes change for me, I seem to get two fives rather than a ten. (Looking in my wallet now, I see six fives and nary a ten.)

It can happen, you know--a denomination can become disfavored.  When's the last time you saw a two-dollar bill? And that's got Jefferson on it, so you know they thought they had something.

After the recent fuss over who should be on the ten, and the last-minute save for Alexander Hamilton (due to the show Hamilton), it'd be ironic if the bill essentially disappeared.  It's as useful a denomination as we have for everyday commerce.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

What's the largest bill in normal circulation? I think I remember getting a $500 many years ago, but my brother says tha'ts not possible.

4:44 PM, December 02, 2018  
Blogger LAGuy said...

There may be some old bills still out there, but the Treasury stopped issuing anything above the $100 decades ago. I've seen thousand dollar bills in old movies, but in "normal circulation" I don't think you'll see anything above a hundred.

I've heard of plans to make the $20 the highest denomination, and even, perhaps, one day, getting rid of paper money altogether. I, on the other hand, would like to see the treasury start issuing $500 and $1000 bills again.

4:56 PM, December 02, 2018  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter