Friday, March 08, 2019

Looking Down At Something

According to a survey on tourist attractions, the worst in the world is the Hollywood Walk Of Fame.

As someone who lives in the general area, I've never felt the Walk Of Fame is disappointing. (I also tend to throw in the handprints at Mann's Chinese, though I guess that's a separate thing.)

Maybe it depends on your attitude.  I mean, it's kind of different for a tourist attraction.  It's not some spectacular building in a specific place, but a few thousand stars in the sidewalk, spread out for over a mile on two streets.

Sure, a lot of the sidewalk is dirty, and Hollywood Boulevard isn't as fancy as Rodeo Drive, but so what? (Though let me add it's much nicer today that it was in the 90s.) It's the idea that you either go for or not.

And I still go for it.  Even though I've walked those sidewalks countless times, I can't help looking down to see the names (and what they're famous for--each star indicates movies, TV, radio, recordings or live performance). In fact, sometimes I actually avoid looking down, because I want to stop and read every name.

You never know who you'll see.  The most famous names in show biz are mixed with obscurities who've dropped off the map.  Often you'll see people kneeling down to get photographed next to a favorite star.  And when a big name dies, you'll see a bunch of flowers at their star.

Occasionally, you'll see a ceremony for a new star.  I remember years ago walking down Hollywood Boulevard and by chance catching James Cameron giving a speech honoring the new star for Sigourney Weaver.

So, all in all, a pretty cool attraction.  Not a tourist trap.  (And if it is a trap, easy enough to escape--they don't charge you, after all.)  Further, you know what you're getting.  Why would anyone be disappointed?


2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

"Some that you've hardly even heard of." I always thought that was the true purpose of the Walk of Fame!

I don't need to see William Shatner's star; I already know Shatner. But every name I don't know fascinates me.

2:28 PM, March 10, 2019  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I suppose all those stars in the sidewalk are a useful reminder that fame is fleeting, though that certainly wasn't the original purpose of the Walk of Fame.

3:00 PM, March 10, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter