Thursday, March 21, 2019

Oh The Pain

Today is French Bread Day.  So I guess it's as good a time as any to note what a cliché the baguette has become in movies.

Whenever anything is set in Paris, there's always someone walking around with a grocery bag which has some long, thin loafs sticking out over the top.  It's such an easy way to say "hey, this is France!" that filmmakers can't resist.  (At least this is in American movies set in France--do the French do it, or would it be like a Hollywood film where Americans are always walking around with bags of fast food?)

I haven't been to France in many years, but I don't remember seeing a lot of French bread.  Certainly not all Parisian eat that much bread.  Aren't any on Atkins?

By the way, I like baguettes.  At a local sandwich shop , there's a choice between baguette and ciabatta and I almost always pick the former.  On the other hand, I'm not a big fan of that other French form of bread, the croissant--too flaky.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

My food memory of Paris is buying a hot dog from a street vendor, who dipped it in hot mustard and handed it to me. (What we call "Dijon" mustard, although I suspect they don't unless it's actually from the Dijon region.)

I accompanied it with a lemon soda. (ere in the USA we have many fruit-flavored sodas but they are all much too sweet; the lemon soda was sour, and totally awesome.

You can keep your $70 steak tartare and snails. My $5 lunch was perfect.

6:03 PM, March 21, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the most common Parisian sandwich is the jambon-beurre. It's just a baguette with butter and ham.

12:32 AM, March 22, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter