Saturday, March 16, 2019

Pith

Writing headlines isn't easy.  You've only got a few words to summarize the content of the article, as well as capture the attention of the reader. It's an art many haven't quite mastered.  Here's a recent if minor example of what I would consider a failed headline:

"Democrats upset over Omar seeking primary challenge"

I understood they were referring to controversial Congressperson Ilhan Omar, but I still had to read the piece to figure out what they meant, because the headline as I read it didn't make any sense.

It sounded like Democrats were upset because Omar was seeking a challenger in her next primary.  Why would they be upset?  More important, why would Omar seek a challenger?  You'd think it's the last thing she'd want.

Of course, the story is about how those upset Democrats are seeking a challenger to bring down Omar.  Oh, that's what you mean.  Never mind.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Democrats: Omar? Oh no!

5:01 PM, March 16, 2019  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

"Time flies like an arrow." Which is the verb?

To primary her (yes, it's now a verb) might be desirable, but those suggesting it just don't get it. The Democrats have now created a mirror-image of the Tea Party. Primarying works only in one direction: the moderates always lose.

9:57 PM, March 16, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not necessarily. Sure, the base is radical, but even in one-party precincts sometimes someone slips through simply because not enough people were voting in the primary. That's how Ocasio-Cortex did it.

10:02 PM, March 16, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Flies" is obviously the verb.

But a narrow what?

3:54 AM, March 17, 2019  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Anon3, I suspect you are channeling the most bizarre of all the Encyclopedia Brown mystery stories.

I could use a stopwatch and time a 100-yard-dash like a profesional, and then after the race I notice some fruit flies, so I time those flies like an arrow.

As time passes, it flies by, much like an arrow.

Fruit flies like bananas, horseflies like a horse, and time flies like an arrow.

12:19 PM, March 17, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you meant 4, I erred: I meant "like" is the obvious verb.

But I do love Encyclopedia Brown.

1:14 PM, March 17, 2019  
Anonymous Lawrence King said...

I counted you as the 3rd Anonymous rather than the 4th commenter.

But the two are similar. It's just a narrow flight away.

I'm guessing you've seen this?

10:53 PM, March 17, 2019  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gots to know: Is there a page 76?

There are no penguins at the North Pole

5:17 PM, March 18, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter