Saturday, April 06, 2019

A Golden (Sponge Cake With Creamy Filling) Day

Today is National Twinkie Day.  I didn't know that either.

Some interesting facts about the Twinkie:

--invented in Illinois on April 6, 1930

--the name was inspired by a billboard in St. Louis for "Twinkle Toe Shoes"

--the filling was originally banana cream but, due to shortages in WWII, was changed to vanilla cream

--Dan White, who killed Harvey Milk, claimed he had diminished capacity due to depression which was shown by his switch to sugary foods like Twinkies, and his argument became known as the "Twinkie defense"

--in 2012 Hostess announced was filing for bankruptcy and Twinkie production was temporarily shut down

--there are many variations of the snack, one of the most popular being deep-fried Twinkie

--Twinkies have appeared in a number of movies, including Ghostbusters, Die Hard, WALL-E and Zombieland

Here's another fact--I haven't eaten a Twinkie since I was a kid.  Maybe I should try one today.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From 11 to 13 I had Hostess Cupcakes every day all summer long, at least Monday to Friday. It was a ritual in between 7 am and 1 pm when I was swimming for four hours. Loved those Hostess Cupcakes and chocolate milk.

So much so that every three years or so after age 20, I'd buy a package of Hostess Cupcakes--and find they tasted so bad I'd have to throw them out. I think I was 30 before I managed to break the association; and I'm not so sure I won't relapse still.

4:21 PM, April 06, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter