Friday, April 12, 2019

Late In The Game

I saw Sound Pictures: The Life of Beatles Producer George Martin, The Later Years, 1966-2016 in my library, so I checked it out.  Certainly the book covers interesting times, as it includes just about everything the Beatles did starting with Revolver.

But I would very much like to read the first book, Maximum Volume, which discusses Martin's early years.  However, that wasn't available at the library.

So do I want to read the second book first--or never read the first book at all?  It's not just about getting things in the right order.  The author cleverly split the Beatles' story in half, knowing what his audience wants.  But the first half of story, from 1962 to 1965, where Martin discovers (and is charmed by) The Beatles and teaches them how to use the studio, is probably more exciting than the tale of a superstar group going on to new levels of sophistication.

So maybe I should just return the book for now and wait till I get a chance to read the first one.  By the way, Sounds Pictures is well over 500 pages. I like George Martin, but couldn't his whole story have been told in just one reasonably-sized book?:Martin himself thought so--his memoir, All You Need Is Ears, was around 300 pages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter