Monday, December 09, 2019

Creek Critique

I've lately been watching Schitt's Creek. The comedy has been on for five seasons, but the title put me off so much I waited until now to start.

The concept is simple.  The wealthy Rose family loses everything due to their business manager's fraud.  Except for the small village of Schitt's Creek, which is so worthless they bought it as a joke years ago.  They end up having to live in a cheap motel there (for free) and spend the first season (the only episodes I've watched so far) trying to sell the town.

I'm confused.  Just how worthless can this place be?  I'm not sure exactly how it is they own the town, but wouldn't that include the land?  And just a huge amount of land should be worth a lot, shouldn't it?

But let's say the value is based on the quality of Schitt's Creek as a town.  I'm not sure why, but okay.  What do we see there?  Aside from the motel, there's sort of a town square with a diner, a general store and an auto shop.  There's a town hall.  There's also a veterinary clinic somewhere.  There are barns.  And there also seem to be some decent-looking houses in sort of a rustic suburban setting.

All told, I don't get why the whole shebang isn't worth millions.  But then, the story wouldn't work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter