Wednesday, January 08, 2020

The Last Bang

The Big Bang Theory ran from 2007 to 2019.  It was the most popular sitcom of its time.  The show took a while to catch on, but by the last eight seasons it was in the top ten, usually first or second.  It's also been getting good numbers in syndication.

Truth is, the show, even though it was top-rated, was getting tired in its last several years.  They had the milestones that keep a show going--marriages, babies, etc.  But what was fun about the characters was pretty much mined halfway through.

Also, while The Big Bang Theory started with an intriguing romantic comedy template, it ended as a less interesting domestic comedy. Once Leonard caught Penny, Howard caught Bernadette and Amy caught Sheldon, a lot of the spark was gone. (I should add that Howard and Bernie seem to have a horrible marriage.  All they do is insult each other.  If the show had gone on, I wonder if they would have split up.)

I watched the show fairly regularly when it was on, but I guess I'm all Big Banged out.  Not to put it down (not that it matters--everyone involved is already superrich), but, unlike a number of other sitcoms I've enjoyed, I don't see me watching any of the episodes again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter