Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Before The Beatles

I'm reading Love Me Do!, a short book about The Beatles' tour through England in 1963.  It was published in 1964 and has only recently been made available again.

Since my favorite book on the band, Mark Lewisohn's Tune In (which I've read more than once--in fact, I recently bought the extra-long, extra-expensive version) only takes them up to the end of 1962, it's rather refreshing to see them in 1963, enjoying their first flush of fame.  Feels like I'm reading a sequel.

In fact, Lewisohn has written the foreword, calling it one of the best looks at the band.  And that fascinated me.  Not Lewisohn's words, but the opening sections of the book.  There's a foreword, a preface and an introduction.  (The foreword was written for the newest edition, the preface by the author in 1995--presumably for an earlier edition?--and the introduction was in the original book.)

This is a lot of stuff before the actual story begins.  Fine--it's a slim volume and can use whatever it can get.  But I've always wondered, what is the difference between a foreword, a preface and an introduction.  Are they terms of art, or just the same thing, different word, like argot, lingo and patois?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter