Monday, April 13, 2020

Pushing The Pieces

Gary Kasparov turns 57 today.  He was the top chess player in the world in his day, and judged by many to be the greatest of all time.

I love watching great chess games on YouTube.  Such a specific domain, with specific rules, that means nothing in the outside world, but tests the human brain to the utmost.  And listening to people analyze these games has given me a much greater appreciation for what is involved.

Not that I'm a good player. In fact, I'm really bad.  Forget the kind of preparation and analysis necessary to play at top levels, that's well beyond me.  My problem is I literally can't see one move ahead.  I walk into traps all the time. No, not traps--I simply put my pieces where they can be captured immediately.

Kasparov played a lot of classic games, but here's my favorite. Amazing.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter