Saturday, May 09, 2020

A Wop Bop A Loo Mop A Lop Bam Boom

I wasn't planning on coming out of retirement so soon, but Little Richard passing away is a big deal.  If you look at my blogger profile, you'll see they ask for my favorite music acts--I listed five, and one of them was Little Richard.

The forefathers of rock and roll include Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Elvis Presley and a number of others, but Little Richard was as great as any, and was the best pure rock and roll singer of them all.  He also wrote a lot of his classics.

While he had a lengthy career, almost all his best and most important recordings were done in the second half of the 50s.  Almost every single he recorded then was a classic--his records had a sound that wouldn't let you down. (Warning--he rerecorded most of his hits, and while these versions aren't bad, they don't compare to the originals.) Here are just a few:










6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The architect of rock and roll.

1:43 PM, May 09, 2020  
Blogger brian said...

RIP. I had a pleasant conversation with him one time.

11:00 AM, May 10, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Why don't you tell us what he said?

2:32 PM, May 10, 2020  
Blogger brian said...

As well as I can remember. Found his phone number through the SAG (so some of what follows is ironic). He was living at a hotel in Beverly Hills

Me: Can I speak to LR? I have a song he might want to sing.

LR (with bad Jamaican accent): He is not here. He is busy with his acting. Did you see his new movie?

Me (slightly confused): Well I am sure I will love him in any movie. But right now I am trying to have him hear my song. I wrote it for my wife but in his voice.

LR (Significant variation in accent off and on.): Well I cannot reach him right now. (Calls out for Richard pauses and answers himself). No he is too busy. Did you know he is planning to do an animated movie?

Me: No, but I am a big big fan. He is the greatest. He has so many great songs.

LR: Thank you. Thank you.

Me: well thank you. Should I sing the song?

LR: no too busy.

Me: Well thanks good to talk with you.

6:48 PM, May 12, 2020  
Blogger brian said...

He died on my birthday. And anniversary. Gimme Kimmy was subsequently recorded by a novelty studio group. They sounded more like Journey than Little Richard but the singer did acquiesce to have a couple of high woohoos. And that is the story.

6:52 PM, May 12, 2020  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Great story. I remember your song quite well, by the way.

I'm guessing the movie Little Richard referred to was Down And Out In Beverly Hills. He's actually quite good in it.

11:30 PM, May 12, 2020  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter