Thursday, December 31, 2020

Receding From Human Memory

Jesse Walker lists his top ten films for 1950--titles that very few people today remember seeing the first time around.  So if they're still being talked about, doesn't that mean something?

https://jessewalker.blogspot.com/2020/12/fiftysomething-ive-gone-through-my.html

Here's the list:

1.  Orpheus

2.  Rashomon

3.  Harvey

4.  Sunset Blvd.

5.  Where The Sidewalk Ends

6.  Les Enfants Terribles

7.  Gone To Earth

8.  In A Lonely Place

9.  Night And The City

10.  House By The River

I like Orpheus, though I'm surprised to see it at #1.

Rashomon is one of the most referenced movie titles ever (though I still think people don't get it).  It's also Kurosawa's most overpraised film, though good enough to make the top 10, I suppose.

I like the stage comedy Harvey (which Jimmy Stewart played on Broadway, though Frank Fay originated the lead role), but find the movie version a bit slow and hokey (like so much 1950s comedy). Wouldn't make my list.

Sunset Blvd. (that's what shows onscreen, though it's usually written Sunset Boulevard) is probably Billy Wilder's most overrated film, though still probably good enough to make the top 10.

Where The Sidewalk Ends is a fine film noir--would make my top twenty.

Les Enfants Terribles is a memorable film, if a little tough to take.  It'd probably make my top ten (though the injury in the snowball fight looks pretty silly).

Gone To Earth is minor Powell.

Following a trend, In A Lonely Place is one of Nicholas Ray's most overrated films, but good enough to make a top twenty list.

Night And The City is a classic noir, top ten material.

House By The River is a Lang film I haven't seen yet.

Here are Jesse's honorable mentions:

11.  Stromboli

12.  The Asphalt Jungle

13.  Los Olvidados

14.  Rabbit Of Seville

15.  Winchester '73

16.  La Beaute Du Diable

17.  All About Eve

18.  Story Of A Love Affair

19.  Last Holiday

20.  Devil's Doorway

Been a long time since I saw 11, which I thought was okay but no classic.  Can barely remember it--need to see it again. (It helped destroy Ingrid Bergman's reputation, but that had nothing to do with the film).

12 flips the script--an overrated director making one of his best films. 13, the film that revived Bunuel's career, should be top ten.  14 is an animated short.  15--well, I've been coming around somewhat on the Mann/Stewart westerns, but still don't think this makes the top twenty.

Haven't seen 16 (don't think I've seen anything of Clair's after he returned to France).  17 was the most honored film at the Oscars, but I don't think has aged that well.  Still, enough good stuff that it probably makes the top twenty.

Antonioni was tough on his early films, though 18 was sort of a breakthrough.  I'd still call it minor.  Haven't seen 19 or 20, though I'd like to (especially 19).

Other films I like:

Annie Get Your Gun, At War With The Army, Born Yesterday, Cinderella, Fancy Pants, Gun Crazy, The Gunfighter, My Friend Irma Goes West, Panic In The Streets, La Ronde, Summer Stock, Three Little Words, Variety Lights, Young Man With A Horn

Other films of note:

711 Ocean Drive, Abbott And Costello In The Foreign Legion, The Admiral Was A Lady, Backfire, The Baron Of Arizona, Between Midnight And Dawn, Broken Arrow, Caged, Captain Carey USA, Cheaper By The Dozen, Crisis, Cyrano De Bergerac, Dark City, Destination Moon, D.O.A., Father Of The Bride, The File On Thelmad Jordan, Francis, The Fuller Brush Girl, The Glass Menagerie, The Jackie Robinson Story, Kim, King Solomon's Mines, Kon-Tiki, The Last Days Of Pompeii, Let's Dance, The Magnificent Yankee, The Men, Never A Dull Moment, The Next Voice You Hear..., No Way Out, Riding High, Rio Grande, Samson And Delilah, Stage Fright, Tea For Two, To Joy, Treasure Island, Triple Trouble, Union Station, Wagon Master, The Yellow Cab Man

8 Comments:

Blogger Jesse said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:32 AM, December 31, 2020  
Blogger Jesse said...

So American Guerrilla in the Philippines doesn't even make your "films of note" list. Surely being Fritz Lang's worst movie is worthy of note!

10:33 AM, December 31, 2020  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, it's New Years and I've got nothing better to do.

I think All About Eve would make most top ten lists.

Broken Arrow is one of Jimmy Stewart's best Westerns.

Cyrano De Bergerac is pretty cool. Destination Moon was pretty good for its day. Also, I sort of like The Black Rose.

7:37 PM, December 31, 2020  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

once we get back to the 50s and earlier there are just fewer and fewer movies I fully enjoy but there were at least a few excellent movies in 1950 and several other mostly good ones so I have a list.

1. Rashomon; (I warmed to this a lot once I noticed how critical it is of its own sentimentality)
2. All About Eve;
3. Sunset Blvd.;
4. Annie Get Your Gun;
5. Harvey;
6. Panic in the Streets;
7. Treasure Island;
8. Stage Fright;
9. Last Holiday;
10. Scandal;

2:57 PM, January 02, 2021  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I listed my favorite movies, there would be more pre-1960 than post-1960. When I hear people prefer "modern" movies I don't know if it's because they're used to them or they just haven't seen enough old movies.

6:26 PM, January 02, 2021  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

I've definitely seen more movies form most of the years after I was born (1980) than from earlier years but I still have plenty to choose from going back to the early 30s (at least 30 movies from every year after 1931, not including shorts). I'm sure a lot of it is just being a slave to the pop culture I grew up with, and then relatedly a lot of it is modern (really post-Brando) acting styles feeling less to me, even if I can recognize it's just a different affect. Then there's also just deeply internalizing the visual styles and narrative structures I latched onto in my teens and 20s most of which were contemporary (though they often had older influences most were immediately concerned with the more recent culture and politics of the 60s and 70s).

There're still plenty of older movies I love but more of them are outliers the further back we go (especially Welles, later W.C. Fields, Browning and a few others).

7:16 AM, January 03, 2021  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Meant to say "and then relatedly a lot of it is modern (really post-Brando) acting styles feeling less *artificial* to me"

7:18 AM, January 03, 2021  
Blogger Bream Halibut said...

Also there are a few years in the 40s where I'm pretty sure I've seen less than 30 features.

7:25 AM, January 03, 2021  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter