Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Two Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong

Anonymous lists his/her top ten Elvis Costello numbers ("I Want You," "What's So Funny...," "Jack Of All Parades," "Oliver's Army," "When I Was Cruel No. 2," "Just A Memory," "Shipbuilding," "God Give Me Strength" and "Mystery Dance"--okay, so it's a top 9) and challenges me to come up with a top 25.

I looked over his songbook and decided this was too hard. Instead, here's his top 50, in chronological order. (I've dispensed with the hassle of quotation marks):


Welcome to the Working Week
Alison
(The Angels Want To Wear My) Red Shoes
Mystery Dance
Less Than Zero
Watching The Detectives

The Beat
Pump It Up
Lipstick Vogue
Radio Radio
Hand In Hand

Accidents Will Happen
Oliver's Army
Party Girl
Moods For Moderns
Two Little Hitlers
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding?

Clowntime Is Over
(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
Crawling to the USA

Love For Tender
New Amsterdam
Hi Fidelity
I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down)
Black & White World

Lover's Walk
New Lace Sleeves
Shot With His Own Gun

Man Out Of Time
And In Every Home

Everyday I Write The Book

The Only Flame In Town
Inch By Inch
Worthless Thing
I Wanna Be Loved

Uncomplicated
I Want You

Brilliant Mistake
America Without Tears

...This Town...
Let Him Dangle
Veronica
God's Comic
Stalin Malone

The Other Side Of Summer
So Like Candy

13 Steps Lead Down
You Tripped At Every Step
Just About Glad

Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, sweeeet. I threw down the gauntlet and you picked it up and ran to the end zone with it (how's that for mixed metaphors?). I was too chicken to put "Shot With His Own Gun" on my original list (so sappy and weird) or the guilty pleasure pop stuff ("Every Day...," "Only Flame...") but I love it all just the same. Nice going.

7:22 PM, January 03, 2006  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I admit I leaned a bit toward the poppy stuff, and the singles, but there's nothing wrong with that. A lot of the best rock and roll has been about singles. Elvis was magical when I first heard him because I felt he was returning to what was best about the mid-sixties--songs that truly rocked, but were also tuneful.

As I stated earlier, some friends sent me personal emails about Elvis. Maybe they'd like to send in comments about their favorites. At the very least, I know AnnArborGuy must have some strong opinions about Elvis.

10:23 PM, January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter