Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bob Clark

Director Bob Clark, and his adult son, died in a car crash last week. He'll be remembered for two films, Porky's and A Christmas Story.

I was living in Ann Arbor when Porky's came out. I'd actually heard about it before it opened--it was supposed to be this amazing gross-out comedy. I'd loved Animal House, so I was looking forward to it.

It wasn't for me. While everyone in the audience was cracking up, I just thought it was stupid. This is why a friend of mine calls Porky's one of the most influential films of the last fifty years--Animal House, for all the wild humor, had wit, while Porky's was a lot more obvious, so Hollywood realized how easy it would be to imitate this formula, and countless such comedies followed.

The thing I remember best about the film is scenes where people on screen were trying to suppress their laughs. I had no problem.

When A Christmas Story came out, I was living in New Jersey. I saw it in a theatre in Upper Montclair. It was relatively unheralded (no one expected much from the director of Porky's) and turned out to be a pleasant surprise.

It starts with narration by Jean Shepherd, whose stories it's based on. I grew up in the Midwest, and he was more a phenomenon of the East Coast, so I found his voice rather off-putting. But once the story settled down, and concentrated on Ralphie trying to get his Red Ryder BB Gun, it worked pretty well.

The film is no classic (though it has a cult that thinks it is), but it does capture a period, and a feeling, and is certainly unlike anyting else Clark directed. Clark worked most of his career on projects that got little respect, so it must have been nice for him to have a film that critics and audience alike fondly recall.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care for Porky's either, but will say that the first half is much better than the second half. When you look at all the money it made, you have to wonder what exactly struck a chord with viewers. I think it's that most of the characters are relentlessly horny teenagers and there are many relentlessly horny teenage boys in real-life. Their level of horniness just wasn't addressed in movies up until that time. I believe the movie might pre-date Cinemax, which I think had a big impact also. But I think people could not only relate to the horniness of the characters, but also just how open they were to obviously bad ideas (going to Porky's) in the hopes of getting laid.

The second-half, "revenge" part is just awful and empty.

8:54 AM, April 11, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody went to see Porky's in hopes of getting laid -they saw it because they couldn't and needed something, godammit.

5:11 AM, April 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter