Thursday, April 12, 2007

Half And Half

I've recently written about the sitcoms 30 Rock and Andy Barker, P.I., both last seen trying--and failing--to garner ratings in NBC's Thursday 9:30 slot.

I prefer 30 Rock, but like them both. NBC, perhaps figuring it can't keep afloat too many failures, has picked up the former and canceled the latter. Since I feared both would be going, I guess I should be happy.

Word is they're hoping 30 Rock will get word of mouth like The Office. I hope it does better, since the Americanized Office, even after winning an Emmy, still doesn't do it for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

T've should have written this as a post but I thought of it now based on LAGuy's observations..

I have been watching The Office- American since season 2 and really like it. I never saw the British original until one episode very recently and was disappointed - it seemed jarring. My point is not that one version is better than the other (I really like Ricky Gervais from his podcasts and expected to like the orginal) but preferences can be driven by initial exposure and perceived changes to the enjoyed familiar (there's a community college psych course phrase for you). I've run into this when I find an author or musician whose current work I like and then seem to find something missing in their earlier stuff(despite protestations of superiority from committed fans) On the other hand, I 've also been that diehard who prefers early work if I've experienced that first.

I never saw The Sopranos season 1 and am preparing for a letdown when I finally get around to it.

3:58 AM, April 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should try "Nighty Night" if you want jarring British comedy.

SWMBCg, etc.

10:19 AM, April 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was a big fan of the British office, and I didn't watch the American one until recently, because I couldn't see how it could possibly work. But I love the American one now. The best thing about it, in my opinion, is how it has developed a lot of side characters much more than the original -- and they are hysterical. They also solve the problem of the new version just seeming like an imitation.

5:22 PM, April 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter