Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Another Country Heard From

Apparently the world would rather we elect Obama than McCain. No surprise. The question is, if you knew nothing about Obama or McCain, how would this information affect you?

It's not easy to say, but I think it'd make me more likely to vote for McCain. I'm not being perverse. I definitely think it's better the world like us. But the question is why do they prefer one candidate over the other? I'd have to guess it's because they figure one is more likely to do their bidding. (They may be wrong, of course.)

As I've said in the past, the job of the U.S. president is to do what's right for his country and explain it to the rest of the world, not the other way around. We have plenty of mutual interest with most countries, but as the world's greatest superpower, we sit in a unique position (and make a unique target). It's a "who will help me eat this bread" situation. Other countries, understandably, want us to use our power for their benefit, but they see the proper way to create this benefit quite differently (and in many different ways) from us. I'd rather we do it our way. This doesn't mean ignoring world opinion, but it hardly means we'll be pleasing them most of the time, either.

(Let me quote the great thinker Bill Cosby: "I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.")

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would you like some Freedom Fries with that?

8:53 PM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Any time Obama wants to be the President of France, he's free to run for the job.

9:10 PM, September 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world tends to get nervous when our guy does stuff that seems to destabilize the world at large by fanning fears and divisions. That doesn't help us here at home, but it does seem to help Republicans get elected.

11:22 AM, September 11, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

The world gets nervous because it disagrees with our policies and you say that hurts us here at home? Sounds to me like it maybe hurts us aborad. I say maybe because as long as we're powerful, they always seem to hate us.

My whole point is we sometimes disagree with the world (they felt the same way about how Reagan dealt with the Soviets, for instance) and we need someone in charge who worries less about pleasing Europe (that's what it's really about) and more about doing what's right for us.

11:48 AM, September 11, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter