Saturday, September 13, 2008

Countries Visited On Your Trip?

My friends and I have had interesting discussions about how many countries and/or states we've each visited. Sub-topics have included: whether you count states that you drove through but never exited the car and/or gas stations (consensus: no); whether you count countries where you never left the airport (consensus: no -- though Tom Hanks may disagree); whether you get to count a country again when you visit it under another name, e.g. do you get to count the Czech Republic when you've already got Czechoslovakia on your list (plurality: yes); whether you get to count countries that were not yet independent when you visited them, e.g. East Timor in 1997 (concensus: no); whether you get to count a country where you just stopped for lunch while driving through (concensus: yes); whether you count countries where you neither had a passport stamped or otherwise dealt with gov't bureaucrats (split decision: yes, because of the EU). By those last two measures, Sarah Palin indeed did visit Iraq, though not Ireland. But it's a mighty close call.

5 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

Okay, let's play: By your yardstick, I've visited Germany (both East and West, before the Wall fell, Holland, France, Canada and Mexico.

I've lived in or visited all but the following states: Montana, Wyoming, Utah, both Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, West Virginia, Delaware, Maine, Hawaii and Alaska.

That makes 6 countries and 31 states. Anyone else want to play?

3:32 PM, September 13, 2008  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Countries visited: Canada, Mexico, Barbados, Bahamas, Aruba, Bonaire, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Ireland, UK (Northern Ireland). Clearly my hobbies of scuba and golf have skewed my vacation choices, eh?

States lived in: New York.

States visited: all but Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Alaska and Hawaii.

So 10 countries and 45 states.

4:12 PM, September 13, 2008  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I've been in every state except Alaska, Hawaii and West Virginia. I've lived in five of them.

I've spent a lot of time in Canada, and very little time in Mexico. In Europe, I've seen England, France, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands and perhaps some others I forgot. For the longest time I've been meaning to go to Australia, Israel, Greece, Scandinavia and Japan (for starters) and I hope I'll eventually make it. (I've turned down trips to Asia due to inconvenience--maybe I should have gone anyway.)

4:54 PM, September 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

States: 30 of 50. Missing most of West, Alaska, and NH,Vt and Maine.
Countries: Canada and Mexico of course. Nicaragua x 4, Israel x 3, Italy x2, and Germany. Not counting any layovers.

AAGuy

7:53 PM, September 13, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always suspected the Guys were Ee-lights.

10:21 PM, September 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter