Friday, September 26, 2008

Regulation Is Not The Answer (mostly)

There's a strong piece on the Times' Freakonomics blog today about why de-regulation of the financial industry was largely a good thing and re-regulation has real dangers. I'm in favor of stronger disclosure/transparency regs, particularly if uniformly applied and thus cheaper to comply with and easier to track and interpret. But ones that stifle financial product innovation are still -- and always will be -- a bad idea. I believe that puts me in accord with John McCain circa February or March. I suppose we'll find out tonight or at a future date whether he still agrees with me (and/or is still willing to say it).

3 Comments:

Blogger VermontGuy said...

I agree. Less regulation and more transparency. Let's start with Congress.

Vote McCain/Palin.

4:19 PM, September 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really now, has this blog become so vulgar that you're directly endorsing candidates? Better watch out, I think McCain-Feingold now applies to you.

4:44 PM, September 26, 2008  
Blogger VermontGuy said...

Naw. No money changed hands. Although I might be willing to sell my vote if someone wanted to steer some of that $700 billion my way.

I'm nothing if not perverse.

5:08 PM, September 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter