Friday, January 09, 2009

How Long Until Pitchers & Catchers Report?

Late last month I was cleaning my desk and found two tickets to a Mets game in 2007 that was rained out. I read the terms & conditions on the back and it said I could exchange them for another game in 2007 or 2008, or for cash until the end of 2008 at the Shea Stadium box office. Well, the Shea Stadium box office looks pretty unapproachable right now. So I drove up to the parking lot for the under-construction Citi Field next door (facade visible in many of those photos). I told my story to the parking lot security guard while he casually chipped ice, and he said I should go to the first revolving door on Citi Field and someone would come help me. I went in to find a security desk, waiting area, and the biggest plasma screen I've ever come across -- must have been 11o inches. One of the guards claimed there are only 4 that big anywhere, but I suspect exaggeration.

Anyway, he makes a call, tells me to sign in and go up to the third floor. Wow -- I'm now more nervous than I ever was taking an elevator to a job interview. I get to the third floor and the older woman behind the reception desk hears my story and asks me to sit and wait while she fills out the paperwork. I ask if it's ok for me to stand by the windows looking out on the field instead of sitting, and she says "sure!" Big panoramic glass looking out on the bullpens and the field. The seats are all in, the grass looks pristine. All that's obviously missing are the bases and advertising on the outfield walls. It gave me chills.

When she was done, the receptionist came and stood next to me. She was wearing a 1986 World Series ring, or a very good replica. We just stood there side by side for a minute in silence, with me grinning like a fool and her enjoying my admiration of something she's obviously really proud of. Her phone rang, I took my receipt (they're mailing me a check) along with a few pages of her Mets notepad to use as bookmarks, and made my way back out to my car. As I passed the parking lot security guy I was still grinning from ear to ear. He smiled too, and said "it's really something, isn't it?" I just nodded happily and got in my car and drove home to re-read some Roger Kahn.

I strongly dislike New York winters, with snow that's gray and dirty as soon as it hits the sidewalk, but it sure does make longing for the spring ever so much sweeter. Here's a local band that seems to share the spirit.*

*for the woefully ignorant, this is the song they're covering.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But it was only the Mets- they're an expansion team for chrissake

4:05 PM, January 09, 2009  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

Baseball is subjective. Thus, they only count as an expansion team if they were created after you saw your first game. So for me the Marlins will always be an expansion team while the Astros will not.

But yeah, when your new stadium is designed to evoke one that was torn down before you became a team, you can definitely get that sense of a lack of history.

7:29 PM, January 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter