Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Keep Watching The Skies

I enjoyed the pilot of V, more than I liked FlashForward. I'm not sure where they'll go from here, since the idea seems more suited to a miniseries, but so far there's intrigue and action.

It's also nice to see Elizabeth Mitchell again, though here she has a kid. I like her better unattached. She doesn't have a love interest yet, but her co-star this time around is a Wolf instead of a Fox (both of whom worked together in Table For Five). Morena Baccarin as the icy alien leader is also good.

There's a touch of Battlestar Galactica here, with aliens hidden among us. But it's more open and political, with the invaders showing a happy face to the world, offering peace and "universal health care" (that line was too on the nose), hiding darker motives.

PS The ratings are good. Now will they hold?

PPS The showrunner's been replaced. Why?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I've heard several comments that V may offer veiled critique of the Obama adminsitration. Is this wishful thinking?

Also, did you notice the "Pelosi-like" Congresswoman in Flash Forward? I'm thinking that Hollywood realizes it has to stay contemporary if it wants to hold viewers, and this means placing controvery in the arena of the current political status quo.

8:29 AM, November 04, 2009  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I wouldn't stress the political parallels. I'm sure V was planned before Obama was elected. The show certainly tells you something about PR, as the aliens are trying to claim they're here to help when they have other plans, but I suppose you could claim that applies to any politician you don't like.

I don't watch FlashForward regularly, but I saw a bit of that scene you refer to. It didn't make me think of Pelosi. What it made me think of was how stupid the show is--there's the worldwide mystery and only one small LA-based FBI unit is seriously investigating it, and instead of hanging on their every word, all Congress can do is mock them.

9:22 AM, November 04, 2009  
Anonymous NE Guy said...

My only question is will this V have aliens who use trial by battle and where a ruling can be overturned for bringing a foreign object into the ring. ("You're making a mockery of our legal system!")

I never get tired of that scene

4:06 PM, November 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter