Sunday, February 14, 2010

Not So Lovely

I finally got around to seeing The Lovely Bones. It's a prestige film--major director, bestselling novel--but it flopped. I could see why. The girl is killed (no spoiler--this is given away in the trailer) and then nothing much of interest happens. Her death-world is sort of silly and the life of her family, as miserable as it is, doesn't really go anywhere. I thought there might be some sort of tense, get-the-killer plot, but it never materializes.

Indeed, it made me wonder why the novel was so popular. I haven't read it, but perhaps author Alice Sebold was able infuse it with psychological nuance that the film entirely misses. Without something holding it together, the plot felt random at times.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought new agey nonsense was a well recognized genre? Maybe you should spend a little less time digging out moldy relics of 50's TV and 70's music and put on a little something contemporary, like a little Enya . . . oh, wait . . . what year is it again?

4:34 AM, February 14, 2010  
Blogger Bonnie P said...

I read the novel and couldn't understand why it was so wildly popular. I didn't feel connected to the protagonist despite the horrific things that happened to her (and despite having a baby daughter at the time I read it). I should have been totally moved by the story, but wasn't at all and I can't help but fault the author for that!

1:40 PM, February 14, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Thanks for your input, BP. From your description it sounds like the film captured the book all too well. (Stanley Tucci got an Oscar nomination as the killer. I thought he was overdone. I much preferred his performance last year as Julia Child's husband.)

I don't read too many modern novels, so it's rare I get that feeling of disappointment that the film didn't measure up. In fact, it's probably more common that I'll see a film and then check up on the book to see how it compares. Of course, movies and books a different creatures. With huge books, like Harry Potter, the filmmakers may try to make their adapatation as close as possible, but usually I think it's best to adapt with a free hand. I recently looked at the description in Wikipedia of the novel The Devil Wears Prada and I'd say the changes in the film improved things.

2:07 PM, February 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter