Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Like A Prayer

I watched Glee last night.  The episode, "Grilled Cheesus," was surprising in its explicit discussion of religion.  It was also fairly even-handed, which you don't get much in prime time TV.

One character's father was in a coma.  I suppose fans found this moving, but I don't watch regularly enough, or take the characters seriously enough, to care.

What interested me most was how much they dug into old hits.  The songs I recall are "Only The Good Die young," "I Want To Hold Your Hand" (done slow as in Across The Universe), "Bridge Over Troubled Waters," "Papa Can You Hear Me?" and "Losing My Religion."  I don't think it's like this every week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

There is almost always a mix of music across several decades. The producers know that to hold an audience across several generations all they need is one or two songs that everyone in the audience will recognize and groove to.

This policy gets stretched a little when they feature a particular artist. last week, for instance, it was Brittany Spears. I recognized her two biggest hits, but was lost on several others. But they still opened the show with an older song that I did recognize.

I like that they also throw in a fair number of showtunes. I also like that they take different takes on songs - lik ethe slow version of I Want to Hold Your Hand. last year they did a slow version lady Gaga's "Poker Face."

8:02 AM, October 06, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter