Monday, December 13, 2010

Waxing Roth

Today is the century celebration of Lillian Roth!  She was a Broadway star as a teen and in the early days of sound movies looked like she might become big.  Alas, she was an alcoholic, and it took over her life.  She wrote an autobiography describing her travails in 1954, I'll Cry Tomorrow, which became a bestseller and revived her career. (In 1955 the book was turned into a popular film starring Susan Hayward, though she makes little attempt to impersonate Roth.)

Roth returned to the Great White Way in the 1962 musical I Can Get It For You Wholesale, which starred Elliott Gould and, in a small role that stole the show, Gould's future wife (and ex) Barbra Streisand.  I wonder if Roth gave Babs any advice on being an up-and-comer?

I love Roth in films like The Love Parade (1929), Madam Satan (1930), Ladies They Talk About (1933) and, above all, Animal Crackers (1930).  Being sent to work with the Marx Brothers was considered a punishment, but Roth is game and is even given some funny lines.  Usually, when there's a musical number that doesn't feature the Brothers, it's a good time to go out into the lobby and wait until the thing blows over.  But the big exception is Lillian Roth singing Kalmar and Ruby's "Why Am I So Romantic?" (written two years before Rodgers and Hart's "Isn't It Romantic?").  Still don't know why the song didn't become a hit.





PS  For a fine appreciation of Roth, with some great photos, you'd be hard-pressed to do better than this post at The Marx Brothers Council Of Britain.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like Raffles!

11:03 AM, December 13, 2010  
Blogger Matthew Coniam said...

Thanks for the link!
You're right that she even gets the odd funny line. In fact, would I be write in thinking that she is the only Marx leading lady who gets an actual, bona-fide Brothers-ish absurd comic line in any of their films? Not an amusing or cute line, but a proper Marx-style joke. Not Thelma, not Maggie, not nobody else does, unless my memory is lettting me down...
I refer, of course, to "and we can be married and divorced in no time".
Lillian is one of my three or four favourite stars of the pre-Code period; I find her later torch singer persona a touch too brassy. But here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCha5bq3jQE
she is perfection.

11:44 PM, December 14, 2010  
Blogger Matthew Coniam said...

You may have noticed that in the previous comment, I asked 'would I be write' instead of 'would I be right'. There is a reason for this.
I am an imbecile.
I only hope that Lillian doing a striptease will make up for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBbcT_vwUDk&feature=related

11:47 PM, December 14, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Maggie and Thelma got to play in plenty of significant comic scenes, but I think you're right, they never got a line like that.

Thanks for the YouTube videos. The second one earned its pre-Code status.

1:40 AM, December 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter