Thursday, December 09, 2010

It's Da Bomb

I'm gonna try to keep this clean, not because I object to profanity, but because this post is for people who do.

I follow a certain Scrabble website that, twice a day, has you try for the best score possible from an evolving board and rack.  (Alas, the best score isn't always the best play.  For example, the program will waste an S for an extra point.)  For years I've been waiting to see what would happen if a dirty word was the top play.  A few weeks ago, it turned out the F-word was it, (F on double word score, K on double letter score), and sure enough, there it appeared.  Hey, it's in the Scrabble dictionary and that's that.

This is the proper attitude. It's just another word.  If it's the appropriate one, use it.

Which brings me to this year's Grammy nominees for Record Of The Year and Song Of The Year (one is a producer's award, the other a songwriter's).  Both categories include "F*** You" by Cee Lo Green.  A lot of people are up in arms.  How dare the Grammys nominate something so offensive it can't even be sung on TV?

Well, the Grammys are meant for the best music, and I haven't heard a better song this year. It deserves to win.   Not nominating it would have been the outrage.  There is a cleaner version, but the "real" song is "F*** You."

Right now the main question should be if they'll sing the original and bleep it or do it the other way.



Okay, that's the evidence for Record Of The Year.  Here's evidence for Song Of The Year:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Denver Guy said...

It seems you are being sucked into Glee fandom bit by bit. Am I right in recollecting you didn't like the show much last year?

Sorry for being off topic. I have to say I didn't even know there was a X version ofthe song, but I've only heard it on radio and Glee and stuff. As a result of hearing the Forget you version first, I'm sure I prefer it. Using the F word, it seems to me, would make the song less fun and innocent, more angry and venal. I agree its a great song, but its fun pop music, which doesn't mesh as well if you think the singer is really, really angry at the target of the song.

But maybe I'd feel different if I heard the original version.

9:08 AM, December 09, 2010  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Here's what Kyle Anderson writes in an MTV essay naming it the #5 song of the year at
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1653786/20101208/cee_lo.jhtml

The first single from Green's new album The Lady Killer is a phenomenal marriage of rage, angst and giddiness that cannot properly be expressed with the word "forget." It's too angry, too thrilling and too singular for a radio edit, which is why it landed so high on this list.

10:39 AM, December 09, 2010  
Blogger QueensGuy said...

My 10yo daughter and I watch Glee together. In fact, it's our only "appointment television" of the week. We watch House Hunters International, too, but from the DVR. Anyway, she liked the Glee version of the song, and I told her the original is better. When I played it for her she laughed hysterically and agreed the explicit version was much funnier and expressed the emotions better.

This is pretty much a replay of when South Park got screwed out of best original song at the Oscars. Like that stupid Tarzan song was better than Blame Canada or Uncle F**ker.

12:32 PM, December 09, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter