Sunday, January 02, 2011

Predictions from 2010

2011 already.  Time to look back at the predictions I made for 2010.  In general, 2010 was a pretty wild year.  Perhaps we had an inkling of massive change when Scott Brown was elected, but note my predictions were made before then.

American politics:

I predicted the Dems wouldn't introduce any major new initiatives (except for economic measures).  I think I called it, though some might disagree.  Pushing through health care caused so much trouble that they seemed spent afterwards, and couldn't push through cap and trade, card check or that sort of thing.  After the election, they did get some stuff done, probably realizing it was their last chance, but the biggest deals, the DREAM Act and the Omnibus bill, didn't make it.

I guessed Obama would drop and stabilize in the polls.  Not sure if he's stabilized yet.  Thought the Dems had already bottomed out, but they had plenty room to go.

I guess the Repubs would gain but not take the House. Wrong. Very wrong.  Guessed they'd take three seats at most in the Senate.  Way off.  Essentially,  I missed the groundswell.

Said Sotomayor will be a reliable vote for the left.  I think I'm correct, though it's still early.

International politics:

I predicted improvements in the Middle East.  As usual, this prediction was wrong.

I guessed no serious progress on a deal for checking carbon emissions. As usual, this prediction was right.

I said no major terrorist attack in the U.S.  I think this is right.

I predicted a slower than hoped for withdrawal from Afghanistan.  Think I got that right, but it's ongoing.

The economy:

"Unemployment will go down, below 9 percent, maybe even 8 percent, by the end of the year."  Way off.  (This goes hand in hand with my rosy projections for the Dems in November.)

Said the Dow would end above 11000.  Called it.

Sports:

"Michigan football will improve over last season."  It was almost impossible for them to get worse.

Popular Culture:

Called Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor and Best Supporting Actress Oscar.  Just missed Best Actress.

"Lost will have a great season 6, though the finale will be unpopular or controversial among a large segment of its fans."  Lost did not have a great season.  In fact, I'd say it was the only season that wasn't great.  I was right about the finale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter