Friday, February 04, 2011

Knowing Nothing

I caught up with Knowing (2009), the Nicolas Cage science fiction film.  It was slammed by the critics (though Ebert liked it--perhaps he was blinded by his love for director Alex Proyas) and didn't perform that well at the box office.  I can see why.

The premise is okay.  Fifty years ago, a girl in grade school writes down a bunch of numbers that are put into a time capsule.  When it's dug out, Cage figures out she's predicted all the disasters of the past half century, with a few left to go. Fine, we got a story.  From this moment on, however, the movie gets dopier and dopier.

The plot is dumb, but I don't want to get into it.  It's just another bad sf film.  What really annoyed me was an early scene that introduces, rather too obviously, a theme of the film.  Cage, a professor at MIT (!), talks to his class about determinism versus randomness.  See, Cage's wife died in an accident, and since then everything seems pointless to him and I'm falling asleep just writing this.

But the film doesn't understand what determinism is.  Determinism means the state of things at any given point is determined by the state of things previously.  Presumably, with enough information, you could predict absolutely everything that will happen.  However, the way Cage discusses it, you'd think determinism means there's a purpose to everything.  That everything has meaning.  But having everything predetermined doesn't create meaning.  If anything, free will--which is usually what's contrasted with determinism--gives things meaning.

5 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I missed this when it came out but based on your review, I think I'll get it if its available instantly on Netflix. Even with the goofy determinism versus purpose and meaning angle (Note to film watchers, when they have a professor say something at an august institution in a thriller, its hogwash else why would they try so hard to create veracity), sounds interesting enough to make you think of interesting scenarios at least. I take the warning on it being dull.

6:30 AM, February 04, 2011  
Blogger New England Guy said...

Sorry- above I meant "the appearance of veracity" and I am reminded of the musings and ponderings of a certain Harvard professor of symbology that got the Vatican's knickers in a twist (although that was more the book than than the movie).

7:56 AM, February 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw "Knowing" this Monday and I was fairly impressed until the end. I was so convinced that the 4 men were angels and then they turned into angels but left in space ships. Why would anyone try to prove God real and then disprove Him at the end? I saw it on TMC HD with my DISH Network employee service at home. It was nice to have in full surround sound on my TV without having to go out to Red Box or wait for Netflix. DISH is expanding their HD line up all the time so I can't wait to see what's next. They just recently started HD Free For Life for qualified customers and they have all of the top packages.

Bryon

1:24 PM, February 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ulimately, we have every possible feed at all times. The only question is can they put it all into one affordable box.

1:38 PM, February 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have Wii, you can get most Netflix titles instantly on your TV without having to wait for the beat up DVD to show up in the mail

2:26 PM, February 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter