Saturday, May 14, 2011

Bee Dee Bee Dee Bee

PS (pre-script):  This is supposed to be posted May 24th, but it's my experience that original Dylan versions are taken off YouTube so quickly that I'm not sure if this'll make it, so I'm running it ten days in advance:

Believe it or not, Bob Dylan turns 70 today.  There are certainly a lot of songs I could pick to celebrate his legacy, but I'll choose one that means something to me personally.

Back in high school a friend wanted to do a number in the talent show.  I'd play guitar and sing harmony.  We chose "Black Diamond Bay." Being years before the internet, I had to play the cut over and over to get the words and figure out the chords.

I like Dylan when he paints a big story, as if we're watching a movie.  (The closest song I could compare to "BDB" is "Lily, Rosemary And The Jack Of Hearts.") I also like the final verse, where he pulls back.



PS We did not win. (Next year I wrote original material and took first place.  In fact, it was the origin of an act I developed.)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

His songs are so long I wonder if he uses cue cards these days.

12:07 PM, May 14, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter