Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Bink-Blocked

The People vs. George Lucas is playing this week in Los Angeles.  Sounds like fun.  I find geekdom in its natural state intriguing, and hell hath no fury like geekdom scorned.  It may seem to outsiders that the anti-Lucas mania is overdone, but I can understand--he took something great and ruined it.  (He even reached back and compromised the originals.) But how much can you hate him when he's the guy who created the great stuff in the first place?

Here's an interesting piece from a Star Wars fan.  This line, though, I found odd:  "The sci-fi universe that was at least partially responsible for my not kissing a girl until college was gone, and I accepted it." Really?  Did Star Wars prevent you from kissing a girl, or was it a convenient way of avoiding it?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Lawrence King said...

Not only is this guy in denial, he also seems unaware that before Star Wars there were still plenty of things for fanboys to watch while they weren't on dates. In fact, I'm old enough that my very first sci-fi convention was pre-Star Wars, and I remember a gazillion people in Star Trek and Logan's Run outfits. And even girls in Logan's Run outfits!

Of course, before Star Trek, science fiction fans actually had to read books. That kept it from becoming a mass phenomenon... for better or for worse.

9:06 PM, May 17, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I've got some problems with the movie Free Enterprise, which follows around sci-fi geeks who specialize in Star Trek, but it's interesting to see them go against the stereotypes and have them pick up lots of hot women.

10:06 PM, May 17, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to a regional Comic Con a year ago and you really had to appreciate all the slutty spandex.

The older guys in tights with their bulges was another matter

2:54 AM, May 18, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter