Wednesday, June 08, 2011

With The Laughing Face

Nancy Sinatra wasn't half the singer her father was, but she recorded some nice singles.  Happy birthday.  She's in her 70s now.

Her best-known song is the #1 hit "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'."   Years later it was used quite memorably in Stanley Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.



She had another #1 in a duet with dad, "Somethin' Stupid." (She liked to drop her G's.)  Here she is singing it with her kid brother.



She also recorded the dramatic James Bond theme song "You Only Live Twice."  (Well, I like it.  Some find it soporific.)



But my favorite song of her may just be one of her sweetest, "Sugar Town."  (I also like Zooey Deschanel singing it in (500) Days Of Summer.)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You been lyin' when you oughta be truthin'

one of my favorite pop lyrics

3:02 AM, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't "singing it in '(500) Days of Summer'" redundant?

5:02 AM, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[sigh] girls were better looking back then, even if they couldn't dance

7:47 AM, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

If I could only have one song to listen to stranded on a desert island, it would be "You Only Live Twice." I'm not saying its the best song I've eve heard, and of course its hard to compare different genres and eras of music. But it is my go to song when I want to close my eyes and listen to something that will relax and entertain me.

7:58 AM, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

P.S. I also like Bjork's version of "You Only Live Twice," though she took out the bongos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi5f3TVhnoE

8:03 AM, June 08, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

That's interesting, Denver Guy, since I think you'd have to search far and wide to find anyone who believes "You Only Live Twice" is even the best James Bond theme.

4:02 PM, June 08, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I agree - my favorite James Bond Theme is Diamonds are Forever (or Live & let Die), but as I said, I'm not saying this is my favorite song - it is my go to song. Probably has something to do the mood I was in when I first saw You Only Live Twice, or the light tropical, relaxed feel to it. But I also think Nancy Sinatra's smooth performance is part of it.

8:09 AM, June 09, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter