Monday, October 03, 2011

America's Crotchety Uncle

I watched Andy Rooney's farewell from 60 Minutes last night.  Rooney was part of the generation that brought us the news on TV in the years after WWII.  They did a decent job (and then lionized themselves and lectured the public on how far America had fallen for about forty years).

But no one would remember him if in 1978, at almost 60 years of age, he hadn't been chosen to replace the Point/Counterpoint segment at the end of 60 Minutes.  He was an immediate hit.  He was also immediately mocked by comedians across the nation.  And why not?  He was so easy to imitate, and did his little essays about practically nothing.

He'd generally express himself on life's little annoyances, often playing show-and-tell with products he'd bought at the local supermarket.  Really he was one of the first bloggers, though I'd guess he thinks he was more significant and high-minded. (He's one of those guys who kept working on a typewriter all his life, probably believing he was upholding some sort of tradition.) 



He often appeared as the spokesperson (I'm sure he'd hate that word) for common sense.  I've always felt I could come up with my own common sense, I don't need others to do it for me.  Sometimes, rather than complaining about cereal or cars or the post office, he'd talk seriously about politics.  Those were usually his worst pieces.

He was involved in certain controversies along the way, saying offensive things (allegedly) about native Americans, homosexuals and Kurt Cobain's suicide.  While it caused him some trouble, it was probably good to have the occasional dust-up.  Better that putting the audience to sleep.

Still, he probably kept it up too long.  I stopped watching his bits years ago.  He could have retired around 1990 and had the same reputation, or better.  But I can understand.  If I had such a great job I'd do it till they dragged me away.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had stopped paying attention sometime in the 90s more when it became clear to me that 60 Minutes was just another entertainment show that wasn't very entertaining (dedicated to truth, except if it was about the color of host's hair)

I thought Andy Rooney had been dead for a while. Apparently only creatively

5:38 AM, October 03, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was struck by how long Andy Rooney had gone on when I realized that in 1991 I wrote a sketch for a comedy troupe the premise of which was that we had uncovered an early piece of his in which he was wearing an elaborate wig and complaining about the lyrics to Handel's Messiah. And that (sketch) was 20 years ago!

11:57 AM, October 04, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I know someone who wrote a sketch for a comedy troupe about Andy Rooney ten years earlier than your sketch. The joke wasn't about his age, but from the start he came across as an old curmudgeon sitting on his porch shouting at the kids.

12:16 PM, October 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter