Thursday, October 06, 2011

I'm Here, I'm Here

Charles Napier has died.  The weird thing is The Hollywood Reporter, a publication that knows show biz, has this headline: 'Blues Brothers' Actor Charles Napier Dies at 75.

Sure, he was in The Blues Brothers, but it was a minor role and hardly his most memorable.  Napier made over 200 appearances in movies and TV shows, usually playing tough guys and/or bad guys.  And yet, when I think of him, it's hard to forget his work as Adam, the singing space hippie, in Star Trek's "The Way To Eden."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to be confused with Alan Napier (cousin of Neville Chamberlain) who played correct Brits including Batman's butler.....which I did

I looked through Charles' lengthy listing of work and while I remember a lot of the movies and series listed, I don't really recall him (love The Blues Brothers but have a hard time remembering his character- was it in the honky-tonk bar?) so he must have been an excellent character actor completely subsumed into his role. Looks like he had a "hard ass cop" face.

Glad you wrote about him as he will likely be overwhelmed in Steve Jobs talk today.

5:53 AM, October 06, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I wouldn't call Napier a guy who hid inside his roles. In fact, whenever I saw him on screen (as I did so many times) I immediately became uncomfortable because I was so used to him being nasty.

9:08 AM, October 06, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Anon, he was the leader of the country band that the Blues Brothers claimed to be so they could get the job at the honky tonk. They later chased the Blues Brothers in an RV.

1:54 PM, October 06, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never got it before. The acid that kills the space hippies is analagous to LSD.

4:14 PM, October 06, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter