Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Burb Blurb

I caught up with ABC's Suburgatory.  In sort of a hammock slot between The Middle and Modern Family, it's the best of the new sitcoms I've seen this season (not to damn it with faint praise).  It's about George and Tessa Altman, a single dad and his teenage daughter, who move from Manhattan to the suburbs.

I was raised in the suburbs and have always been amused by writers and others who portray them as some sort of living death, a place of no culture and stifling conformity.  Seems to me there's a good argument it's the best of both worlds, since you're close enough to both the city and the country to enjoy what they have to offer without suffering from the negative sides.  Regardless, our culture is now open enough that I don't think growing up in the suburbs is that different from living anywhere else.

But that's not the thesis of Suburgatory.  Tessa hasn't moved that many miles north of her beloved Washington Square Park, but it's a different world.  The oddest things to her is all the zombie-like moms, who try to stay young and hip and perfect while raising their mean-girl daughters. It was odd to me too, since I don't recognize the caricature from any suburb I'm familiar with. (Though this was a highly affluent suburb--maybe they're different.) More familiar--indeed, satirical mainstays--was the emphasis on malls and manicured lawns.

But what attacking the suburbs lacks in imagination, the show makes up for in charm and wit.  It still has a way to go, but there were enough decent observations and funny moments to make it worth checking out.  To last as a series, though, I imagine many of the caricatures will have to turn into recognizable human beings.

There are a lot of familiar faces--Jeremy Sisto, Cheryl Hines, Alan Tudyk, Ana Gasteyer, Rex Lee, Chris Parnell--but it rests on the shoulders of Jane Levy, who plays Tessa.  I'm not familiar with Levy, but she seems up to the task.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cheryl Hines gives the impression she is having fun. Playing the voice of reason to Larry David for so long, maybe she is really enjoying being a wacko suburban mom.

These suburbs are definitely not like the suburbs I grew up in which had lets say, a much greater mix of socioeconomic backgrounds (of course 30 years later this suburb is now considered an exurb extension of the inner city so there you go). The overly affluent community in the series is an almost enclave/gated community type suburb so while the show styles itself as an attack on the burbs (or some urban troll's version of the burbs), it seems more an attack on nouveau riche types provincials who live outside cultural center.

6:08 AM, October 04, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

Tomorrow I'll choose between Free Agents and Suburgatory, because they are on at the same time.

Free Agents and New Girl were my favorite of the new sitcoms so far, though none of them have been knock-outs. But I have to say, the second episode of Free Agents really stepped up. The new character Emma is funny, and the dialogue was snappier and wittier. Also, the characters are less angst-ridden (that was turn off in the pilot).

I probably won't watch Suburgatory because I don't want my 14-year-old daughter watching it and getting ideas. This will also probably be why I won't watch "I Hate my Teenage Daughter" which debuts in November.

Luckily my daughter loves "The Middle," which has an overly wholesome 14 year-old girl (Sue Heck). Ironically, the woman who plays Sue Heck played a slutty vamp in the first episode of LA Guy's favorite - "Party Down." She is a great actress because she is totally believable in both roles.

9:18 AM, October 04, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

No matter how you feel about Free Agents, it's a huge flop and is all but guaranteed to be canceled. So maybe it's time to move on, unless you want to stick around and watch its death spiral.

I don't regularly watch The Middle, but if I'm around a bit before Modern Family, I'll check it out. I think Eden Sher, who plays Sue Heck, is one of the best things in the show. She must be around 20 by now.

9:52 AM, October 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry- Patricia Heaton going all "mom" in that show ruins it. Damn gravity

12:29 PM, October 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, I just found out about Free Agents (stupid title). Already effectively canceled, eh?

Code word; Oxigingy

I smell Medicaid/Obamacare subsidy.

4:57 PM, October 04, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

Free Agents was the title of the original British series (not that it meant anything to the American audience).

At least it lasted longer than The Playboy Club.

5:51 PM, October 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free Agents being cancelled- it must be the result of the Fed's treasonous easy money policy.

Cod word; Herps

Ick

6:12 AM, October 05, 2011  
Anonymous Denver Guy said...

I heard this morning than Up All Night has been granted a lease on life. Did it get better after the pilot?

8:03 AM, October 05, 2011  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I haven't watched it since the pilot. The decision was based purely on ratings (which merely have to be acceptable to let you continue on NBC). Whitney also got an order for more episodes.

9:18 AM, October 05, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter