Friday, March 16, 2012

Good News For Trees or Encyclopedia Down

The Encyclopedia Britannica is ending its print run.  It's been around for 244 years, but from now on any new editions will only be available online.

I grew up in a household with the EB on our bookshelf. Quite a few papers I wrote in high school were based on articles within. It was almost daunting, having the sum of human knowledge so close. I browsed occasionally for subjects of interest, and once considered reading it end to end (though I put aside that folly pretty quickly).

It's the end of an era, but I guess it was inevitable.  Even a book is too bulky, so a huge, expensive set is impossible. Maybe it's time I finally got a Kindle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still revisit the 1972 version of World Book when visiting the ancient homestead- its still kept that new magazine smell and shiny gold leaf edging

Also had received what I think was a pre-WW2 version of the EB which was piled on a shelf in the basement- my memory is that it took no prode in objectivity and had a very pointed article on "fine gentleman" Oliver Cromwell and the evil vainglorious Charles I

3:06 AM, March 16, 2012  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's plenty of room at the bottom.

3:28 AM, March 16, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter