Sunday, March 09, 2014

A Waste Of Paper

Before I buy a new car, I usually think about it for a few months.  By the time I'm ready to make the deal, I know not just the make, but the price, the options, even the color I want.  As long as the salesperson can give me that (and nothing else), we've got a deal, and that lucky person who caught me as I walked in is one step closer to the set of steak knives.

Anyway, I recently received a letter from the dealership where I bought my car.  It was a heartfelt missive from the owner breaking some bad news--the guy I bought the car from has left the lot for a new job.  But, the owner assured me, that there will be continuity, and his dealership will continue to offer me the same service.

Should I respond?  "Thanks for the note, I'm heartbroken.  Who'll send me family photos at Christmas?   I don't know if I can continue."  After I buy a car, it's my hope that I never have to talk to person who sold it to me. I don't mean I'm celebrating, but was this letter necessary?

4 Comments:

Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

You're missing the most important thing, LAGuy, which is not like you: Playing the odds.

A full 40 years ago, more, holy moly, I used to stuff envelopes for my dad, then a car salesman extraordinaire. He worked the business at its peak and was far and away the best salesman in his company. The rewards were regular and stupendous, and he was always taking pretty wonderful vacations. He did so well that it was like the hey day of frequent flyer perqs (I originally typed "frequent flier," which I suppose is also apt for the time). Once he took eight people to Hawaii because he could, on the incentives that were surfeit.

He ended up in other businesses but of course still did well because of the basic skill, along with the work ethic.

That's not to say I'm all that impressed by your letter, and of course the times have changed since then, several times over. But the spirit is there. Good luck to your dealer, as he muddles his way through.

12:57 PM, March 09, 2014  
Blogger LAGuy said...

I understand keeping in touch with customers (even those who never respond to anything) is good business. So are pop-ups. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

2:48 PM, March 09, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like someone read What They Don't Teach You At Harvard Business School.

3:37 PM, March 09, 2014  
Blogger ColumbusGuy said...

I doubt it.

2:42 AM, March 10, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter