Monday, March 10, 2014

Checking in

Looks like Wes Anderson has another art house hit with The Grand Budapest Hotel.  It played at four cinemas over the weekend and grossed an astonishing $800,000.  I saw it (in a packed theatre, of course) and while I think it'd be a hit in any case, I wonder if some people are getting the wrong idea.

In the past, Anderson's quirky vision often starred big names--Gene Hackman, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and others.  This time around, it's got Ralph Fiennes--big enough, I suppose--but most of the others are window dressing.

Really the whole show is Fiennes, as the hotel's concierge, along with newcomer Tony Revolori as lobby boy Zero. As for the other names, Adrien Brody, Willem Dafoe, Jeff Goldblum, Harvey Keitel, Edward Norton and Saoirse Ronan have a few moments but not that much to do.  Jude Law, F. Murray Abraham and Tilda Swinton have even less.  Bill Murray, Jason Schwartzman, Tom Wilkinson, Fisher Stevens and Bob Balaban, even less.

I don't think this gets in the way of the audience's enjoyment, but fans of these actors may be disappointed.  It's also a bit more violent than you might expect.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of famous people playing period dress-up is not a bad marketing ploy for a movie poster. I recall having the poster for the 1977 WW2 movie "A Bridge Too Far" with its cavalcade of stars in uniforms tacked up to my closet door for quite a while. Every time I thought about taking it down, I stopped because there was always something new to look at.

7:10 AM, March 10, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of famous people playing period dress-up is not a bad marketing ploy for a movie poster. I recall having the poster for the 1977 WW2 movie "A Bridge Too Far" with its cavalcade of stars in uniforms tacked up to my closet door for quite a while. Every time I thought about taking it down, I stopped because there was always something new to look at.

7:10 AM, March 10, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But A Bridge Too Far really did feature a lot of stars in significant roles (in a weak movie). Grand Budapest Hotel features one of its star, and not its biggest, hogging all the screen time.

9:43 AM, March 10, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry the sluggish system resulted in a double post- I will see The Grand Budapest based just on the poster I think- I agree that the marketing may be duplicitous but it works (as is the case with all good marketing).

A Bridge Too Far was not a great movie but I don't understand why somebody thought it would be a good idea to film a history text book (which I quite liked as a book). I did see it again recently and just noticed Cliff Claven getting the Moe Green treatment in assault on the Nijmegen Bridge

1:02 PM, March 10, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter