Friday, February 03, 2017

Egg On Their Face

I was recently in Bristol Farms, a local grocery store I prefer over Whole Foods. One aisle featured pre-packaged food. This included a few containers of store-made egg salad.

I noticed something odd. I looked at two containers, both containing about three-quarters of a pound--yet one cost twice as much as the other.

I looked more closely, and saw one cost $4.99 per pound, while the other was charging $9.49 per pound.  I assume this was a clerical error, and not that one batch of egg salad was secretly twice as good as the other.

If I had bought the egg salad, obviously I'd have chosen the cheaper container.  But which was the right price?  Would I dare point out to the store the discrepancy, taking the chance that it would be fixed against my interest?

As I was leaving, I asked myself: is there any chance this is a strategy?  They mark one product way too high, so everyone else feels they're getting a deal?  I wouldn't put it past them.

1 Comments:

Blogger New England Guy said...

I have noticed this in the meat department of the local grocery store. I think they are just sloppy (9s and 4s look similar on the digital readout on the scale I see in the butcher shop area) and buy the cheaper lamb chops. (BTW- I guess due to that drought I remember hearing about last summer, lamb chops and other lamb is really expensive here- a rack of lamb which would have cost $$12-15 a few years ago is now around $40)

[Also I was assuming however that the freshness date is accurate- should we if the prices are wrong? There is a chance that the high price- or maybe an odd low one- might have kept the product around the shelf longer]

2:00 PM, February 03, 2017  

Post a Comment

<< Home

web page hit counter